Thursday, September 5, 2013

This week...

This week was the return of classes for all the students of France. However, Cléo was not too thrilled about the earlier bed time and earlier morning starts, as any child would.  Let me explain how I get Cléo to and from school with a visual. 

What is this picture you ask?


 Why it's Cleo's chariot and my certain end of existence. 

This is what I transport Cléo to and from school in. If I don't die by the end of the school year then I might as well be an Olympic athlete with the amount if coordination and strength it takes to use this; literally, uphill both ways. I dread the days of rain and snow...

Cléo and I leave about 8am so I have time to wheeze and die on our way to school as my lungs shrivel up into raisins. I dump Cléo at school at 8:30, and then I make the trek back home; avoiding small cars, cafés that take up the entire sidewalk, and small children. Then, I finally make it home to sit in the shower, holding myself, as I cry rocking back and forth. I will certainly lose 10 years off my life. 

After, I have the afternoon off to go to the little fruit and vegetable stand just across the street, lounge in the sun, or meet friends in Lille. 

At 4:00 though, I must be home to head out on the death trap and retrieve Mademoiselle Cléo from school with a small snack waiting for her in her chariot. At 4:30 the zoo lets out and Cléo and I head home, again, me, eyes bulging, lungs shriveling, life ending. 

Typically after school, Cléo plays outside til about 6, then after an ocean of tears from Cléo not wanting to come in, I get her to take a bath or shower while I cook her dinner. Dinner for Cléo is typically a microwave meal specially picked out by her mom. Easy for me, but I'm sure the lack of nutrition aids in this child's insane mood swings. Not so fun for me. 

Cléo typically cries a good hour all together every night. Between coming inside, to having to take a shower, and going to bed, the child cries at the drop of a hat. Tips on how to control the tear flow?? Accepting any and all advice now please!

That's a typical school day for me and Cléo. But today I was free because I had to go to the University near Lille to take my French placement exam. I did fine, found the class ok, and was able to meet the teacher. She looks a lot like a Native American hippy, with two, long, grey braids on either side of her head and wearing long dresses from probably 1996. She's super cool though!! I start my class the 16th, Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Hopefully with this French class I will improve my French language skills and meet more people in the same boat as me. Results pending. 


Oh, and Scribbles says hello and sends bunny kisses to all! 

Bisous! (Kisses)
Claire



***Bisous is a typical way to say bye to friends and family. Kind of like "cheers!" Or "love!"

1 comment:

  1. I have an adorable 5 year old sister, and ofcourse everyone spoils the youngins. She cries at a drop of a hat too. If you say no to her, she'll chuck a tantrum- and that's why my parents always say yes. With me though I don't tolerate it, she could keep crying and I wont yell/give in to her but ignore her till she settles down because when you think about it the child is like a master manipulator lol. Idk maybe try that?

    ReplyDelete