Sunday, September 15, 2013

Updates!

Sorry I haven't been writing posts recently, but not much has really been happening here. The usual mornings and afternoons to myself, then get Cleo from school at 4:30, play time, bath time, and dinner time by 7:30. Then I'm free. Friday though, while riding the bike of doom to get Cleo, I think I hit a curb and broke something. While I walked the bike through the skinny sidewalks, the tires kept locking up and I couldn't even push the darn thing! Thankfully the future nanny of the future baby here was walking past and noticed I needed some help. She's SO nice, but doesn't know a single word of English, so it was a bit difficult to assess the bike situation. We ended up having to carry the bike (Cleo chariot with it) the rest of the way to the school (about 2 min walking). After I got Cleo, the nanny talked to the school director about my bike. He fiddled with it but even he couldn't figure it out. He unhooked the back tire break and then the bike worked! But I only have the front brake working. Yikes! 

So Cleo and I continued on home until about halfway when the tires started to lock up again. So the rest if the walk home I pushed and dragged the bike while Cleo walked along side me, remaining occupied by all the snails and seriously huge slugs in the dewy grass. 
Fréd and I will try to fix the bike before the weekend is over, but his Dad has been in town visiting all weekend so the bike is still broken. 

Friday night we all enjoyed a nice dinner together where I basically sat and listened to conversations between Fréd and his dad (both huge tennis fans) talk about American and French tennis players, French football, and other topics I didn't quite understand. Overall, I'd definitely say I'm improving in my understanding of the language!

Saturday afternoon I met up with two couch surfers, both fairly new to Lille, like me. One girl from just outside Paris who moved here last week to attend University, and one guy from Barcelona who is here to work. They were so nice and so much fun to go out with!! We walked around Lille a bit, went to the art museum because it was free for the weekend, and then finished off the day with some beers at a small bar. We mostly spoke English because the guy needed to improve for his job. He told us that his boss wanted him to improve his English more so needless to say I was thrilled to speak English. It's much easier for me to be myself when I speak English with new friends. With French I can't really express myself much thus making it harder for me to introduce myself and get to know others. The girl speaks English, Spanish, and French. The guy speaks Catalan, French, and English. It was so impressive to listen to them rotate between all 3 languages if they couldn't find the right word in one language. It inspires me to really work on my French and perhaps one day learn Spanish too! But one language at a time here...

The 3 of us have already talked about going to Belgium for a day, traveling together, etc. I think (and hope) we will all become some great friends here. 

It's been very dreary and rainy here all week. And chilly too! Fall has definitely arrived. I miss Chicago autumns though. They are much nicer, dryer, and prettier. 

Today (Sunday) I will probably meet up with my friend from Lebanon for lunch just to get out of the house today. I always feel a bit weird just staying in my room when the family is home so I try to get out as much as possible: rain it shine. 

I'll keep you all posted on the bike situation. OH! And I start my French class tomorrow, 9am-noon. First day jitters! Hopefully I'll find the right classroom. This university is the worst about posting room numbers and where to go. They literally just put up pieces of paper around the buildings the day of class saying "if you're taking this course - it's in this room number".... Awful. 

Culture shock is really starting to hit me and I've been a bit homesick, but that's nothing a little Christmas music can't fix for me!! I know I know...Christmas music, Claire? Really? Already? 

Oui. 


Loads of bisous!!
Xoxo
Claire




No comments:

Post a Comment